PRACTICE LAB ‘22
With Rebecca Henry and Phyllis Freeman
Where technique and musicianship meet
For violinists ages 12-18 at the upper intermediate and advanced levels
Monday – Thursday June 20-23, 2022
In-Person in Rockville, MD
REGISTRATION OPENS FEBRUARY 1, 2022
Application Form and Audition Form (video links) deadline: Sunday April 3, 2022
• Build technical skills with confidence and fluidity.
• Understand how technique supports musical decisions
• Develop mindfulness & creativity in practice
10:00 Warm Ups: Posture, vibrato, shifting, etc.
11:00 Scales/Arpeggios/Double Stops: Varied drills for bow strokes, facility, etc.
12:00 Lunch (bring your own)
12:45 Practice strategies: Technical challenges and musical interpretation
1:45 Discussion: Time management, practice organization, motivation
2:30 Ensemble: Sight-reading and musicianship
We are looking forward to week of discovering ways to practice more efficiently using a variety of strategies and the participant’s creative input. Our goal is for participants to develop a closer relationship with their instruments and develop a deeper understanding of the interdependence between technical decisions and musical outcomes.
There will be no final concert because our focus at Practice Lab is on process rather than on performance. We hope our work during this week will help their future performances!
APPLICATION for Practice Lab ’22 requires submitting two forms by April 1, 2022
- Application Form: https://forms.gle/Uut16Q8U5z6Q4qiB7
- Audition Form (video links): https://forms.gle/q2CUaQTwXEvMNwWWA
Video Audition Requirements:
Two scales and two contrasting pieces demonstrating technical and musical variety.
The 2nd piece may be an etude, or a different movement from the first piece.
Memory and accompaniment are not required.
Submit three separate video links.
1.Two scales on one video:
Three-octave major scale, any key, slur six notes per bow, whole bows, any tempo
Three-octave scale, any key, spiccato, one note per bow, 16th notes (Quarter = 70)
2. Piece 1
3. Piece 2/Etude
Tuition & Materials
Practice Lab '22 in Rockville (Limited to 24 participants): $495
- Acceptance notifications will be emailed on a rolling basis between March 1 and April 15 and will be sent within two weeks of receiving both the Application Form and the Audition Form (video links). No applications will be considered until both forms have been received.All notifications will be emailed by May 1, 2022
- Full payment will be due within one week of the acceptance email being sent.
Your invoice will include details on payment options.
- Enrollment is limited to 24 participants. A wait-list will be maintained.
$450 refund with written notification by May 15
$250 refund with written notification by June 1
No refunds after June 7
- We have extremely limited availability for assistance at this time.
- With your acceptance you will receive a FREE 3-month subscription to ViolinPractice.com, which includes thousands of videos with practice ideas for technique and repertoire.
- All instructors are fully vaccinated for COVID.
- We will follow CDC guidelines regarding masking and distancing
- Participants must submit documentation of one of the following to email@example.com
- 1. COVID vaccination (one or more shots)- submit by Mon. June 13
- 2. Negative COVID test (any type) taken June 16 or later – submit by Sun. June 19
- Health protocols may be updated depending on conditions in June.
ACCEPTANCE LETTERS WILL INCLUDE
- Medical Release and Emergency Contact form
- Drop-off/Pick up details
- Carpool list (for those who request this on the application from)
If you can’t join us in Rockville, sign up for the ONLINE Morning Drills 10:00-12:00
No audition required. Info: